Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association Forums Big Pike / Muskie From A Kayak Pike & Musky – Tips, Tactics, Lures & Hot Spots

This topic contains 66 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  THE GATOR GUY! 3 weeks ago.

• Author

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

A kayak fishing forum for those that enjoy chasing and catching big toothy beasts from a yak!

The Gator Guy! I like to catch BIG PIKE!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

My goal for the 2016 season is to land a 40 inch fish from my kayak. More specifically a Northern Pike or Musky. I’ve been doing a lot of research and will share what I learn in this forum. Looking for others to add to this conversation.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Some things I’ve learned about Big Pike. They’re eating machines with voracious appetites. They strike many types of lures and bait.

1. During spring spawn the big ones will be in the shallows where the other spawning fish are. Easy meals.
    2. Big pike like colder water as the season “heats” up so to speak. The smaller pike stay in the weeds so they can hide from larger fish. Medium size pike move out towards the weed edge. Muskies like warmer water, contrast to Pike.
    3. For big Pike, find areas where deep weed lines drop off to deeper water. Big pike will use these areas to come up and eat and then retreat to the colder water they prefer.
    4. For big Pike,find points and rocky areas that enter deeper bays can be nice spots for Pike to use as ambush points. Find them and fish them. Look for lakes with these conditions and plan your time on the water to focus on these areas.
    5. You can troll, cast or still fish. That’s a personal preference. However Big Pike are smart. Too much noise and they will vanish. Another reason a kayak is perfect. The stealthy nature of kayaks.

I’ve been researching gear also. Going to inventory my current stuff and get more focused on specific gear for this purpose.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

So here is a sample from last year. I’m on Lake Ann in Chanhassen. It has Pike restrictions to try to increase Pike size. From the DNR website they say the effort is working. This is Fall, I’m a little ways off dying weed line. These are decent…but not big pike. To be honest, I’m not sure this lake would have the big pike I’m after, I don’t know.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

One last post today. I like fishing spinner baits. I like the feel of the tension and sense of how they troll through the water (I like to troll). This is a big spinner I have been looking at. Going to pull the trigger on at least one of these to try this season.

rock n troll
    Participant

This topic is awesome!!! I share your addiction for big pike. I am also a troller. Can’t cast big lures too much anymore due to shoulder issues. I got my pro angler towards the end of summer last year so I didn’t try any real big water, but i believe the bigger lakes present a better chance to catch the biggest pike. Tolling spinners shallow last fall I was able to get a 34″ and a 30″ on a 5200 acre lake near me. I also caught a 30″ pike on the 400 acre lake I live on.

I think you made an important point… pike restrictions work. I live near a lake with a minimum size of 30″ before you can keep one. It really seems to be working. Unfortunately, it’s a big lake so I will have to wait for fairly calm days.

My question for you is… how do you plan to land a 40 inch pike in you kayak? Would like some ideas so I don’t have to “learn on the job”.

Thanks,

RnT

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mitch Heil
    Participant

I don’t know if Ann has trophoes but I got a ~30 incher out of there a few years ago on a sucker minnow.

As far as bait. I’ve literally caught pike on everything I have in my tackle box. I even caught one on a ham cube once. I have great luck with spoons, spinnerbaits, lindy rigs, rapalas, and topwaters in the morning when it is calm in the summer. Topwaters don’t perform as well in the spring since they aren’t as aggressive yet.

In the spring time we find big ones in shallow water near inlets or streams. The vegetation is starting to appear, the water is warming up, and its where they spawn. On a river they will be found on the backsides of rocks and eddy’s where they can rest and just wait for food to flow by.

Here’s a tip. Buy more than 1 of every lure if you value it. You will lose it. Leaders can help prevent line breaks but they also interfere with the action of some lures. So its a give and take. I also don’t use super heavy equipment. I use a medium action pole with 10lb power pro. It works for the majority of pike you will catch. I have a musky pole for flinging giant lures but for the most part my medium action does the trick.

Stu
    Participant

I agree with Mitch on Pike, I have caught them on everything but the kitchen sink. Spoons and spinner baits are my favorites in the spring. Later on, I like swim baits and especially jerk baits over the tops of deeper weed beds. I haven’t broke a 40 incher yet, but have probably caught over 50 pike between 30-40 inches. 39 1/2 inch @ 18 pounds is my biggest. As for Musky, if I ever catch one, I will let you know how………

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Rock n troll, in the video I have a Rapala fish grip. It worked okay. I now have a Boga grip (see pic). It was more spendy, but it is made very well. I watched the Hobie Worlds one year. They were in the Netherlands where the Pike are way bigger than they are here. They actually had very large musky nets to land those big pike. I agree, landing will be the challenge. Getting them a little tired is good too (without totally exhausting them).

I’m interested in sitting with big sucker minnows or trolling with them. I’ve become so used to artificial in the yak. I’ve never fished with meat from my yak. Hopefully I’ll be out with someone when I get one of those big ones on. A little help would be good.

Check out this link for landing big fish from a yak: Landing Big Fish In A Kayak

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Rock n troll, I have a Hobie also. We can get them on big water as long as the wind is not too crazy. I’ve been out in some windy conditions and fished the lighter wind side without too many problems. Stu, Lake Peppin is supposed to have some of the biggest Pike in the state.

If you haven’t seen this movie, you’ll enjoy it:

Fishing In Minnesota : Top Northern Pike Lakes from Fishing In Minnesota on Vimeo.

Stu
    Participant

Indeed Ron, I have fished Pepin a few times in the yak, and it is very hard, as any wind wreaks havoc. I talked with guys last year about Pepin, and yes, it is supposed to have monsters in it. In Lake City at the bait shops, there are many pictures of lunkers caught there and hear of a few true trophy’s caught each year there. During the summer, the monsters are near the bottom where underground creeks pop up on the floor of the river. The temperature is cooler there and that is where you will find the lunkers. I have read articles of surveyors who also are fisherman, who mark those underground creeks via thermal imaging during fly overs in the winter, or look for spots of no ice cover on the surface which indicates where those creeks are underneath. Otherwise, there are many creek channels that come into the lake that attract a lot of fisherman.

We might have to arrange a day in your boat on Pepin with some big sucker minnows!

Mark
    Participant

How can Millac not be in there,they have pulled out some Giants this winter.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Stu, I’ve been fished a few times in the power boat.YIKES, you’re right. The wind came up we were in a “pound down”, big waves! I’m game for hitting it in the power boat for sure. Let me know when you think a good time may be.

Mark, I agree, Mille Lacs is great for big fish…especially since they have all those small walleye to eat! I’ve fished Isle Bay quite a bit. McQuoids is off Isle Bay and I think their guides fish it often for the big muskies. It’s kind of protected so it works well in a yak. Let me know if you want to make the trek up there Mark. Easy enough to get to for a day. Just like Lake Peppin would be.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Here’s an article I read today. I have a couple nice rigs that work okay for big fish. I’m looking to buy a real nice heavy action or MH rod and pair it with a reel that will allow me to troll very large lures. My other set ups will work for medium size lures. I’m just kind of using the forum as a place I can come back to see what tips I get from other folks and re-read stuff I found. I’ve got a pretty ambitious goal…but I’m not getting any younger! 🙂

http://1source.basspro.com/index.php/component/k2/73-pike-fishing/787-how-to-catch-pike-northern-pike-fishing

PrairieDreams
    Participant

Ron, I know this sounds obvious but you have to fish big pike water to catch big pike. You may luck into a big pike on any given lake at any given time, but if you really want to target big pike, you have to fish a lake that consistently grows them. I have stumbled into a few big pike on Lake Vermilion while fishing for musky and its always on shallow rocks next to deep water. I honestly don’t think that I could go to a lake like that and consistently catch upper 30″ to 40″+ fish. You know that I mainly fish ND and the lakes over here that I look to for big fish are Devils Lake, Lake Sakakawea and Lake Oahe. They all have deep cold water, lots of forage and lots of pike. Your odds of catching big fish are best before the water warms up too much and big, deep lakes are the slowest to warm and consequently give you the most time to target them shallow.

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

Rock n troll, in the video I have a Rapala fish grip. It worked okay. I now have a Boga grip (see pic). It was more spendy, but it is made very well. I watched the Hobie Worlds one year. They were in the Netherlands where the Pike are way bigger than they are here. They actually had very large musky nets to land those big pike. I agree, landing will be the challenge. Getting them a little tired is good too (without totally exhausting them). I’m interested in sitting with big sucker minnows or trolling with them. I’ve become so used to artificial in the yak. I’ve never fished with meat from my yak. Hopefully I’ll be out with someone when I get one of those big ones on. A little help would be good. Check out this link for landing big fish from a yak: Landing Big Fish In A Kayak

I love mine :)))

Aaron

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

It’s really good when they gator roll!!!

Aaron

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

This is my new favorite forum :))) Look forward to getting out there with you guys!!! Thanks for posting.

Aaron

Aaron

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

aaelliott, we need to start researching and find lakes to hit. I may take a weekend and go up and see Aaron D. in the Fargo area. He’s got some big beasts in the past fishing our online tourneys.

Syntarion
      Participant

Big Fork River, Big Fork, Mn

Stu
    Participant

The lake we have a tournament on later this year, Big Birch Lake, is where I fished for Pike for the online tourney last summer, caught 3 over 30″ that trip as well as many nice bass and a few smaller Pike. Not sure about trophies, but that lake has abundant bigger Pike in the 30+ range. Madison lake by Mankato has abundant 30+ inches as well. In the two times fishing there, I caught two over 30 and my brother caught two over 30 as well, and he lost one of the biggest bass I have ever seen in Minnessota right next to the boat as it jumped and almost landed in the boat. There are many lakes where 30-40 inches are plentiful, but few where true trophies live, unless you go way north.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

That is hot Stu! I’m going for Mr. Toothy up at Big Birch! Even a pike at about 30″ is a thrill for me. Were you fishing for Bass when you caught the pike…or specifically dragging pike stuff like big spoons or buck tails?

Stu
    Participant

Caught them on Pike stuff in a weedy bay. Primarily on a black double bladed inline spinner. The bass I caught all hit the Pike stuff I was throwing.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I need to stock up on some inline spinner baits. Anther thing I’ve been reading is either single hooks…or one treble only to reduce the chance of those extra hooks getting caught up on something. Plus it is way easier to land and get the hook out of the fish.

Just read this article: http://www.in-fisherman.com/pike-muskie/northern-pike/toothy-transitions/?utm_content=buffere626f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Stu
    Participant

I have been tempted to switch some baits to single hooks instead of trebles too, as I have read many articles saying their hook up rates are as good or better. It is a pain to remove an embedded treble from a bigger pikes mouth with those sharp teeth.

PrairieDreams
    Participant

I really like the Northland Reed-Runner Mag. Spinners, the extra hook is a must. Last year during the tournament I was fishing and the trailer hook came off the lure I was using and a big fish hit it and it didn’t get the hook in it, I immediately switched to a new lure with the trailer hook on it, threw it back up to the same place and got that fish, it was the 42 3/4″ that I posted for the tournament. It is much easier dealing with a big pike that doesn’t have treble hooks in it. I like the spinner baits and buzz baits for that reason especially in the kayak. Kayak + Treble Hook = Trouble especially when the pike are over 10#. I can’t wait it’s almost time to start fishing open water again. I think I’m going to head out to lake Oahe in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I see back to back 50+ degree days I will be there, work will have to wait :).

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I totally agree on the treble hooks are trouble in a kayak! The trailer hook makes sense to reduce misses also. So what color do you use on the Reed Runner?

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Lake Oahe, BIG PIKE fishing? I assume SD is like ND and seasons don’t close? Doing the yak or powerboat?

jengelmann
    Participant

Another lake to look at would be Lake Koronis by Paynesville.  The lake is part of the Crow River and has a healthy population of Northern, Walleye, and Smallmouth Bass.  I’ve seen numerous 30+ inch pike come out of there in both the summer and winter.  The lake also has numerous bays and areas to fish when the wind is blowing.  I’m hoping to fish here on the opener to try and land a toothy beast to win the online pike tournament!!  There is a county park campground on the lake for anyone willing to make a weekend trip out to the lake.  I would be willing to lead a get-together out there this summer if there is any interest.

Blind Squirrel Fishing Team!!
    Just like a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, I find a fish every once in a while.

PrairieDreams
    Participant

I like the Pumpkinseed and the Whitebass colors. The upper end of Oahe is in ND, I was thinking about hitting the beaver bay or cattail bay areas maybe both, (just west of Linton, ND). Kayak, I need the exercise, and it works better in shallow water too.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Jengelmann, I may make the drive to hit paynesville. Have to see what’s on the schedule as it gets closer.

PrairieDreams, are you heading to Oahe by yourself? I may be heading up to Lake of The Woods for Sturgeon and Big Pike. But that my fall through. That would be a power boat thing. That drive is 6+ hours, so heading to Oahe is more, but not much more.

PrairieDreams
    Participant

Kayak 123, there might be one other guy going, he’s not sure yet, otherwise I will be going by myself. You are welcome to join me, once you get to Fargo my trailer has room for 3 kayaks so we could all fit in one rig. Looking at the forecast right now things are looking really good for the 8th – 10th of April, but with weather that may be subject to change. As of now the plan would be to leave Fargo about noon on the 8th so we could fish that afternoon and fish all day Saturday and if the fishing is really good, stay and fish Sunday morning. Schedule could be flexible if that doesn’t work for you, let me know.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

PrairieDreams, I was at the Minneapolis Sportshow Friday and Sunday. We talked with the ND booth people and they pretty much confirm what you are saying. That area is good for big pike at the right time. I don’t know if you know KP in our club, he may want to go to. We’d probably meet you there instead of going north, then west then south again. I bought some big spoons and inline spinners with single hooks I’m dying to use. A 7’6′ rod with a shimano Calcutta is in the mix. The vendors at the show said I can get that basic deal for the next month…so I’m trolling online so to speak for an even better deal. I have a couple of rigs which will work fine for the task already. Not sure I can do it on the 8th. Let me know what you’re up to…

PrairieDreams
    Participant

I will keep you posted. The weather is not as stable as I would like it to be, but I may go this weekend anyway. I will get you a report if I make it down there.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I’d like to hear what’s up if you go. I’m trying to clear the inbox at work. I’m looking at maybe next week if I can make it happen.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

All right BIG PIKE yak anglers. I’m heading up to Devils Lake, ND for a second time on July 8, 2016. KP is coming also and we may meet up with some guys from North Dakota. If you’re interested in making this trip let me know. Trip #1 was non-stop pike action. No huge ones…but the action was ferocious and the fish were aggressive and angry!

rock n troll
    Participant

Wow… sounds like a fun trip!  A dream trip actually.  I won’t be able to make it, but hope to do something more than the pike opener tourney.   The job and life are such horrible taskmasters.

The opener tourney was fun and educational.  The first three pike I tried to measure all flopped while i was trying to measure them and landed in the lake!  Ditched the net, bit the bullet and bought a boga grip.  Haven’t lost a pike since.  Although it’s clunky, I ended up buying a float too.  Don’t want to see it go to the bottom!

Matt McCandless
    Keymaster

I enjoy Pike, but if I am going for something that size with strength and power I would rather target muskie. And Rebecca is awesome for tigers.. Early summer they attack almost anything, that lake is packed to the rim. When we did the clean up I think combined we all saw almost 20 tigers, not many lakes can boast those numbers. Being it is a non-motorized lake and small only helps the angler out more.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I hear you Matt…but Pike are not as smart as Musky. Musky can be a VERY tough customer to sell a presentation to. Both musky and pike are in the same Esox family. Pretty close in size and fight. Pike are just the stupid, crazy siblings that are easier to catch and present in larger numbers throughout our area. I’ll take the non-stop pike bite over the fish of 10,000 casts. Just my humble opinion.

Matt McCandless
      Keymaster

That is true, they are much easier to catch.

rock n troll
    Participant

Hey Kayak123,

Any report on the Devils Lake pike trip on 7/8/16?

RnT

rock n troll
    Participant

Hoping to jump start this thread.  Just recently returned from a motorized fishing trip to Canada.  Each year some of our biggest pike are caught by the walleye guys.  They will get a walleye on the line and the big pike decides to make it a meal.  Pike hangs on all the way to the net.  My question is:  Has anyone fished walleye-like cranks through typical walleye spots or even at the thermocline out in the basin in an attempt to get big pike.  I feel like pike in these locations are never fished.  I hope to get a chance to do this in the next few weeks and will report back.

RnT

Mitch Heil
    Participant

We have done relatively well with pike in 30ish foot water, sometimes 40-50 running the 30 foot raps but haven’t gotten anything too huge. Pike and walleye cohabitate since they both eat the same things. We’ve always caught pike the same places we catch walleyes.

B8CastGuy
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsgfdtNMWk

I agree with the popularity of the boga grip for landing big pike. I also agree with Jim Sammons of Kayak Fishing Tales. He recommends the largest boga grip. You rarely get all the hooks of a big lure inside the mouth of a big pike/musky. That means the remainder of the hooks are outside and exposed. I’ve had them roll and hook me just like the guy in this video. It really pegs the anti-fun meter.

Hawkeye
    Participant

Dear all,

I have just started to fish muskies and tigers from my kayak. I now realized that my current pike fishing equipment from Europe might not be sufficient. Any thoughts which rod/reel would be just right for muskie kayak fishing? Looking forward to your thoughts! 🙂

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Another resource: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/more-freshwater/where-fish/2006/04/basic-guide-catching-northern-pike?src=SOC&dom=fb

I’ve been able to get about a dozen in the low 30’s in 2016. I’m going to need to spend more time on lakes that hold 40 plus inchers like Mitch said earlier. I’m also using more single hook spoons and spinners. Considering pinching the barbs down for easier hook removal…but fear hooking in to 40″ and losing it due to no barbs. My pursuit continues.

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsgfdtNMWk I agree with the popularity of the boga grip for landing big pike. I also agree with Jim Sammons of Kayak Fishing Tales. He recommends the largest boga grip. You rarely get all the hooks of a big lure inside the mouth of a big pike/musky. That means the remainder of the hooks are outside and exposed. I’ve had them roll and hook me just like the guy in this video. It really pegs the anti-fun meter.

The anti-fun meter lolol!!!

Aaron

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

I use  heavy wt 9 ft baitcaster set up. Always best to use a heavier rod when the big boys hit. I’ve been pinching the barbs on all my lures for the fish, and me. I lost one near the boat this summer but if you play them right and keep the tension you can land them fine. I also made a home made cradle. They really help with keeping the fish under control when getting the hook(s) out. I’m usually on the hunt until the end of the season. Gonna try to get out again this weekend somewhere here in the NE metro if anyone wants to join me. Got skunked on saturday without even a bite!!! It was a beautiful day though.   Aaron

Aaron

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

It was cool to watch him spash out of the water!!! Going out tomorrow if anyone’s interested. Aaron

https://youtu.be/1LcuuL9m6jk

Aaron

Aaron Elliott
    Participant

Been getting to White Bear with my new custom built 10wt fly rod. Nothing caught today. Yesterday I looked down and a big musky was right below the kayak!!! I tried everything to get him to bite but he swam away 🙂 My fly rod reel seat came unglued so it was out of commision. I saw another one that day too. They really bite when they feel like it lol!!! Planning on getting out until it gets too cold if anyones interested.     Aaron

Aaron

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

BIG SPOONS and where to find big pike in the fall.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/fishing/story/1741734-fishing-for-giant-northern-pike

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

A good day of Northern Pike Fishing from my kayak video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT38hS4pio

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

A good day of Northern Pike Fishing from my kayak video.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Good info on VERY early spring / late ice fishing for big pike in far north MN / Canada!

http://www.northernontario.travel/sunset-country/late-season-ice-fishing-in-ontario

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Good info on VERY early spring / late ice fishing for big pike in far north MN / Canada!

http://www.northernontario.travel/sunset-country/late-season-ice-fishing-in-ontario

Mitch Heil
    Participant

Those are some good tips although they are more ice related. I don’t think I’ll be going out on the ice anymore this year. Maybe I will. Who knows. But I have been getting pumped for open water. In April sometime we are going to Canada to help the resort we stay at on opener/the summer open and their pike season doesn’t close. My brother and I know some good spring spots so we’re gonna try and find some big mommas.

THE GATOR GUY!
      Keymaster

Mitch, really looking forward to seeing pics of the BIG PIKE from Canada.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Not kayak pike fishing…but OMG, this is on my bucket list to do in the spring.

FishingTime
    Participant

FOX Lake in Southern Mn where I-90 and Hwy 4 meet is a pretty good muskie lake. It has a campground and is relatively quiet. It may be worth a look for some of you. There is also a Walmart about 15 miles away for grocery runs and you are about 30 to 35 minutes away from Spirit Lake and Lake Okoboji in Iowa. Pretty well located.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

First decent one of 2017.

Nothern Pike From A Kayak

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Not a huge pike…but decent enough to have some fun.

Muskieyakhunter
    Participant

Here is a nice pike a caught on a spoon on Minnetonka a week ago.

I caught this little one a couple weeks ago.  It made me laugh then it was almost the same size as the lure.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

So I’ve been re-thinking the Boga grip for landing BIG PIKE. Some kayak pike fisherman I’ve been out with are using medium to large size rubberized nets. Some have cut off the handles to make them a bit shorter. The shorter handle makes more sense from a kayak. In a power boat you most likely are standing and are further away from the water, so a longer handle is needed. In a kayak you are closer to the water and a longer handle may even be more of a problem. The Boga is great…once you get the fish “lipped”. My problem is that I use long rods. 7’3″ or longer. I like them! BUT, when you get a fish up to the kayak you need grab the rod at mid length or so to get the fish close enough to the side of the kayak to get the Boga grip on the lip. With a medium or short handle length net, you can “scoop or net” the fish further away from the yak. I’ll net the fish, get it in the boat and probably use the Boga grip to get control of the fish and remove lures. The Boga grip will keep me safely away from 2 or 3 sets of treble hooks when a big pike starts thrashing around. It’s my theory and sticking to it. I’ll post some video showing the new net in action.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Best of 2017 so far. I’m gonna cry when I get a 40+ incher! This one was over 30…but NOT a 40+. Still fun to catch!

Kayak Fishing For Northern Pike

FisherMN
      Participant

Nice fish and great picture. Way to go!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Good article on finding and catching BIG PIKE during the hot summer months.

BIG PIKE SUMMER FISHING

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Summer pike info. Summer Pike Info

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar